Sunday, June 5, 2011

Health Nuggets

I plan on covering a variety of topics as I post on this blog, all recording related (or at least mostly related). Hopefully you'll find what I post helpful and of interest.

Today I just wanted to post on a topic I have been thinking about.-- maintaining good health and stamina during long sessions.  As I become older my health and well being are of great concern to me, so I have been thinking about how I have managed to survive 12 to 16 hour marathon sessions day after day.  Over the years I have learned a few things that help me do so without feeling completely trashed by the end.

First, sleep is an important thing.  If I can get good sleep I am better prepared to handle the rigors of a long session the next day.  Also I find I am more patient with my clients if I have had a good night's sleep.  

Second, eating properly is another thing that will make the long sessions go well.  Eat a good breakfast (not just coffee or Pop Tarts).  They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You may be tired of hearing it, but it's true.  Not only does it help wake you up and give you a clear head,  but it will give you energy and help your mind create, too.

Third is another food topic, but snacking is important. Not the typical snickers or other candy, though, and chips don't cut it either.  Have some good snacks on hand.  Think of things that you like that are not loaded with sugar and junk that will cause a big energy crash after just a short amount of time.  Stuff that can sustain you, like fruit, nuts, proteins (like cheese or beef jerky), etc.

Fourth, exercise is another key element.  I am not saying you need to take a break in the middle of tracking to hit the gym., but try to move around during the session.  In this modern age of the Digital Audio Workstation, we can sit in front of a computer screen to do 99% of what we do.  I was at an AES convention a few years ago and Bob Clearmountain was the featured speaker.  He was talking about his SSL console that is around 12' long and jokingly said that going from one end to the other is the only workout he gets.  I got thinking about this and realized that some days he is right.  We can just focus our selection to the center of our control surfaces etc., so we don't have to move.  Couch potatoes on the job.  To combat this, listen from different spots in the room, or go in the hall to listen to your mix.  When tracking, rather than reaching for the EQ, get up and move the microphone.  A little blood movement can go a long way.  Also along these lines, when it comes to lunch and dinner, find a place that is close enough to walk to whenever possible.

Fifth, and this one is important to me, go outside every once in a while! Leave the control room, even if only for 5 minutes, but leave and go outside (smell the roses).  This gives your ears a chance to cool off and your mind a chance to refocus on the task at hand.  

Now, I haven't always lived my life according to these suggestions (I mean, a pink frosted cookie and a Mountain Dew used to be my breakfast of choice!), but I've gotten a little smarter over the years. Making great recordings is the goal, and I think that following these things will help you do that. 

I've listed just a few of the many things you can do-- we'd love some comments letting us know some of the healthful things you do to make it through a long session.

Thanks

Michael Maughan

1 comment: